So…major major find at the grocery store last weekend in Cleveland while with my brother – beef bacon! We don’t eat pork in our household – so there are a few recipes that call for real bacon that I have been dying to try…and these bacon wrapped dates are one of them. And let me just tell you this – they are amazing. Actually, everything with the beef bacon is amazing – it’s a flavor and texture that turkey bacon just can’t compare to. But seriously – amazing.
So quickly – here’s a few pics and a non-recipe really – if you happen to see beef bacon – buy it – and then tell me where you bought it at b/c I’ve never seen it anywhere except for Heinen’s in Cleveland – Shaker Heights actually. The pictures don’t look that great – but believe me…they taste better than they look!
All you have to do is slice the bacon in half – I had 4 pieces left so that gave me a total of 8 half pieces. Wrap each half piece of bacon around a pitted date – place onto a foil lined baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes – or until your bacon is completely cooked. My beef bacon was thick – so it needed the full 25 minutes.
The combination of the incredibly sweet, dense dates with the salty, crunchy bacon is to die for. N and I had 4 pieces each – and I wish I had more! If I was making these for a party I’d need to make 4 per person – which would add up pretty quickly. So fair warning – these will go quickly!
8 pieces of beef bacon
16 dates, pitted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Slice each piece of beef bacon in half.
- Wrap each date with a half piece of beef bacon and lay onto the baking sheet – repeat for all remaining dates.
- Bake for 25 minutes, depending on thickness of beef bacon, ranges from 20-28 minutes.
- Remove from oven – stick a toothpick in each piece if you are serving at a party – then step back and watch them disappear – enjoy!