This is one of those great weeknight meals that makes you happy for a few different reasons. Number 1: it’s delicious. 2: it is easy. 3: there are so few ingredients. 4. Easy cleanup. 5. It’s economical. Love it! I like to use this recipe for whole chicken’s….see the Orange Rosemary Chicken for an example….just sub out the oranges for lemon. Super delicious.
I should also mention that I love chicken thighs. Much more than chicken breasts. I love the skin, the juicy meat, and love how economical chicken thighs are compared to chicken breasts. Realistically I know I probably shouldn’t be eating the skin….but just one with skin isn’t bad….right? For this recipe I am cooking all of the thighs with skin on – but I like to remove the skin from all remaining chicken thighs before storing in the fridge. The skin just isn’t as good once it’s reheated – so why eat the extra calories and fat. If you are looking for a lower fat dish remove the skin completely and/or use boneless skinless chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts.
Ok enough rambling….let’s start cooking. Here’s what you’ll need – just a few ingredients – chicken thighs, 2 lemons, 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, and salt and pepper.
First zest 1 lemon and juice both lemons. My lemons gave about 3 T. of juice. Next, remove the leaves from the stems of the rosemary, and finely chop the rosemary. Finely chop is the key word here. Alrighty – add the zest, lemon juice, and rosemary together. Mix in 2 t. salt and 1 t. pepper.
Now it’s time to prep the chicken thighs. First I loosen the skin from I side of the chicken thigh using my finger. Just basically release the skin slightly from the thigh – without removing the skin completely. Salt the underside of the chicken thighs – I used probably 2 t. of salt to salt the bottom of the chicken. Use your discretion depending on home much you like salt. I love it. Flip the chicken over and using a spoon – spoon ¼ t. to ½ t. of the rosemary/lemon mixture under the skin of each chicken thigh. Massage the mixture under the skin to evenly distribute the marinade under the skin. It’s not that big of a deal if it’s not perfect….it will taste delicious still.
Ok – if you have any remaining marinade pour it over the chicken thighs.
Serve with some steamed veggies and you’ve got a delicious, low carb meal. Use this same marinade with boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts and you’ve got yourself a delicious low carb/low fat meal. Try this recipe – super easy and tastes like you’ve spent a few hours preparing. Serve and then bask in the glow of happy mouths around you – including yours! Enjoy!
Chicken Thighs w. Lemon and Rosemary
Click here for recipe.
8 chicken thighs
2 sprigs rosemary
4 t. salt, divided
1 t. pepper
- Preheat oven to 425. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Zest 1 lemon and juice both lemons.
- Remove leaves from 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary and finely mince the rosemary leaves. About 1 T. of rosemary. I suggest using fresh rosemary – but if you only have dried – I suggest using 1 t. – but I can’t guarantee that since I haven’t tested.
- Mix the lemon juice, lemon zest, rosemary, 2 t. salt, and 1 t. pepper in a small bowl.
- Prep the chicken thighs – create a pocket under the skin of the chicken thigh using your finger. Then salt the underside of the chicken thighs with 2 t. of salt.
- Using a ¼ t. to ½ t. spoon the lemon rosemary mixture under the skin of the chicken thighs. Using your hands, massage the skin of the chicken to distribute the marinade under the skin of the chicken. Sprinkle any remaining marinade over the top of the chicken thighs.
- Bake skin side up for 45 minutes or until the skin is crispy and brown. Serve with a side of steamed veggies for a complete delicious meal.